The History of

Casa Hacienda Moreyra

Casa Moreyra was always more than a place of residence. Its significance in history is linked to its original rural role rather than to its current palatial beauty. It was a center where all types of activities came together and took place: first the economic ones and then the social, cultural and religious ones.

The Hacienda de San Isidro – together with other haciendas, estates, farms, stables, and vegetable gardens – was part of what could be called “the great pantry of Lima”. It consisted of more than 8,000 hectares of cropland in the outskirts of the city.

During the twentieth century, due to urban expansion, these properties were divided and they eventually disappeared. Lima began to rely on distant pantries and the few hacienda houses that remained were removed from their original role, and they started to be confused with common houses or urban mansions.

But the history of Casa Moreyra began long before this, even before it was built:


1000 d.C.

The lands that were part of the Hacienda de San Isidro were irrigated by the Huatica irrigation canal, what is now Avenida Camino Real.


Three years after the founding of Lima, the Spaniards allocated the area to Nicolas de Rivera “El Mozo”.


Antonio de Rivera, the new owner of the hacienda, planted the olive trees that are now part of the “Bosque El Olivar”.

Second half of the

XVII Century

A Hacienda house was built. It was probably designed by Pedro de Noguera, a Catalan architect who carried out land survey work in the area.


XVIII Century

The house was presumably rebuilt after the earthquake that hit Lima in 1746. Murals that were recently found show the colonial baroque decoration of the house.


The estate was bought by Isidoro de Cortazar y Abarca, the first Count of San Isidro. Since then the estate has been known as the Hacienda de San Isidro, as San Isidro is the patron of farmers worldwide.

Approximately around


Rosa Gutierrez de Cossio, Countess of San Isidro, hosted a reception for the Liberator of Peru, Don Jose de San Martin.


After the estate belonged to different owners, it was bought at auction by Jose Gregorio Paz Soldan.


During the Peruvian civil war between Jose Rufino Echenique and Ramon Castilla, the hacienda was the scene of the battle of La Palma.


The Avenida Arequipa was laid out and the property was divided. Luisa Paz Soldan and her husband, Francisco Moreyra, urbanized the land around the “Bosque El Olivar” according to the design of planner and sculptor Manuel Piqueras Cotoli. The hacienda house – which was not used agriculturally any more – was encircled by walls and was therefore surrounded by the city.

December 28


La Casa Hacienda San Isidro es declarada Monumento Histórico mediante Resolución Suprema N’ 2900-72-ED.


The house was used to host the fourth edition of CASACOR.


The Casa Moreyra houses the new Astrid&Gastón Casa Moreyra.